....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Picks + Passes

What do you know, I'm on a blogging frenzy. Where is all this blogging energy coming from? Well, a few places: teaching has slowed down a bit (only 7 more weeks!), the house is clean, clothes are clean (notice I didn't say put away, darn it), Ariston is asleep and I am awake. What a perfect opportunity for another Picks + Passes. And we're off...

PICKS :
  • My brand spanking new pair of running shoes: New Balance Vibrams. I bought the gray ones. Embarrassingly enough, I haven't bought myself new tennis shoes in approximately 5 years. The old ones were getting a little, well, old. I like the NB Vibrams for their sock-like comfort and rugged look. The design is inspired by the yoga shoes with the separated toe slot thingies. I'm not so sure I like those, but these, float my boat. Since I've been working out regularly for the last 4 months (minus this last week, arg), I feel like I earned these bad boys. The price was a little steep but they are worth.every.penny.  (Shout out to the best shoe place around the Coweta/Fayette area, Smith & Davis, for saving me a few bucks!) Did I really ramble that long about my new shoes? Forgive me. 
  • Family vacations. The ones where you pack up and drive to the beach with no plans, no obligations, and absolutely NO reason to not spend true quality time with the ones you love. I've included a few photos of our most recent getaway below.
  • Jasmine Star's FREE 2 day workshop. Ah, she's amazing. If you're interested in photography, or just viewing some amazing wedding photographs, I highly recommend you check her out. Prepare to have your mind blown by her sheer amazingness. I only caught the 2nd day of her workshop. I'm highly anticipating the next.
  • I heart burlap. Yes- that scratchy, itchy, earthy, khaki fabric that screams, "I love antiques, too." I bought a few yards a while back. It serves 2 purposes, 1. kitchen tablecloth and 2. photo backdrop. I'm predicting it will serve many more in the future. My last post, here, has a few photos where I used the burlap as a backdrop- the photos with the tan background.
PASSES :
  • Pollen, it's you that I despise. Not only because you make my eyes itch, nose run, and head hurt. It's so much more than that- you make my once clean car dirty, I can't swing on my front porch because you've coated everything in your yellow nastiness, AND you've caused my husband to go into "Babe, I'm so sick. No, I don't really need to go to the doctor" mode. Get out of town already!
  • Not having a family photographer. I want one.
  • Gel polish. Let me just say, I thought this stuff was the next best thing to be invented for nails. It hardens your natural nails without having to apply that awful acrylic gook (that smells awkwardly delightful). I'm certain it would have been on my picks list, at least, BEFORE I removed it and realized how awful it was. It's great while it lasts but the damaging effects aren't as enjoyable. The gel polish left my nails cracked and peeling. Sad face.
  • I should have another "pass" since I'm sort of freakish about things being even, BUT, I can't come up with anything else at the moment. At least I have 4 bullets, that makes me feel better. Maybe it's a good thing that I have more picks than passes? Tonight, the glass is half full.


No comments: