....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Tuesday Tip

My "tip" this week is actually a challenge. I don't know about you, but I'm always up for a good challenge- bring it on, right?!

I challenge you to try a new angle. Often times we get in a routine of capturing the same straight-on shot. It's easy, comfortable and familiar. Next time, try something new, something outside your comfort zone- spice it up a little! Here are a few ideas on how to capture different angles:
  • Get lower than your subject and shoot upwards. Sometimes when I'm photographing my subjects I take the straight-on shot first and then I squat down and shoot upwards for a different angle. It's amazing how different two photographs can be with a simple change of position. That's easy, right? Check out the side-by-side images below. One was straight on and the other  is the same exact pose except I've captured it from an upward angle. Can you believe how different they are?  Which do you like better? I think between the two I actually prefer the upward angle more.
  • Angle your camera.  Instead of holding your camera perfectly horizontal, try angling it so that it's more diagonal. Typically, landscapes should always he horizontal, but, when you're photography people try slanting your camera a bit. It makes for a more interesting shot. In the photograph below you can see that I just slightly angled it to the right.

  • Get above your subject and shoot downward. I absolutely love a bird's eye view. Shooting downward is not only an overall interesting perspective, but it can also be rather flattering. When taking pictures of children, try having them sit on the ground and look up at the camera as you stand over them (which is what I did with  Maris in the first image below). It's such a fun pose! It's not that easy with adults ;) In the second photo below I was standing on a ladder (by a dumpster, believe it or not). In the thrid photo I was at the top of a church staircase. Although it isn't always easy to get this angle, it's definitely worth it when you do. I'm always on the look out for something to climb on!




There are many others angles out there for you to explore. What are you waiting for- got get em'!    Happy Shooting :)

No comments: